See how Jennifer Weber turned her ideas into action after NTMC!
“One [NTMC] skill that has been the most helpful to me in my practice is the use of positioning in the NICU. As we know, proper positioning to mimic the intrauterine environment is essential for musculoskeletal development, state regulation, physiologic stability, and sleep promotion. It is for these essential reasons that I make proper positioning a core aspect of my practice. I have seen first hand how taking the time to ensure adequate positioning is key for a successful treatment session. Regardless of what other interventions you perform, positioning is typically the last, if not only, part of the session and must be successful in order to ensure a calm, stable baby (and a happy nurse!)
I have helped to train other therapists, as well as nurses, in proper positioning key points. Our developmental care committee made positioning one of their projects for the year, and we conducted pre- and post positioning assessments with a mandatory education portion in between. This education included a powerpoint presentation, hands on practice with positioning items, and pictures of optimal and suboptimal positioning in the NICU.
Furthermore, the therapy staff wrote a grant and was awarded $2500.00 to purchase Dandle Wrap positioners for our unit. We were initially met with resistance by one of our older doctors; however, one of our biggest therapy proponents had a pre-term infant and witnessed first hand how much her daughter loved the Dandle Wrap. She ensured that they continued to be available on our unit as their benefits were undeniable!”
~Jennifer Weber, OT, NTMTC, 2016 NTMC Professional
Top 10 Benefits of Neonatal Touch & Massage Certification (NTMC)!
- Develop advanced therapeutic skills that are practical, applicable and usable every day.
- Earn professional credentials for your professional signature!
- Become an expert in Neuroprotective, Family-Integrated and Developmental Care.
- Prepare for the Certified Neonatal Therapist Exam.
- Obtain over 30 contact hours (OT/PT) for your professional licensure, which can also be used for CNT application submission).
- Learn from experts throughout the USA and Canada who actually research, publish or present related to neonatal care.
- Enhance your skill with advanced “hands-on” therapeutic interventions like myofascial trigger point releases.
- Learn specific touch and massage techniques to maximize alignment, movement, sleep, comfort and neurodevelopment.
- Sharpen your observation and assessment skills.
- Network and learn from other therapists in a fun-filled, interactive, learning environment.
What people are saying…
I just wanted to reach out and thank you for a few things!
First of all, thank you for this program you’ve created. I love—LOVE—this certification. I love how I can use it with every single baby I encounter, and I love how it has evidence that supports long-term outcomes. I’ve been telling everyone I work with, as well as the parents, what I’ve learned from this experience and they’re equally as fascinated!
Secondly, thank you for the quality, professional, and friendly way you organized the learning experience. The online modules were easy to navigate, and the hands-on session was a blast!
Thank you so much for the opportunity to give these kids a positive experience that will help them in the long run, especially when the odds are already stacked against them being born premature. So far, every baby I’ve tried my new skills on has responded so well.
I hope your year is great and I hope you affect as many lives as positively as you have mine!
~Lindsey Hauch, 2018 NTMC Professional